To Our Wellness Community,
I hope you are finding moments to rest and care for yourself as we collectively navigate this difficult time. I’ve seen a surge in requests from my patients, asking how they can protect themselves from this pandemic. I cannot offer a guarantee or a sure method of avoiding the contraction of COVID-19. What I can provide is a list of basic preventative measures that may support your health and well-being during this time.
COVID thrives on inflammation, make sure you are getting adequate quality sleep, insufficient sleep stimulates inflammation. Sleep also triggers melatonin, which has been shown to decrease virulence of the corona virus. Try for at least seven hours nightly and nap if need to.
Food As Medicine
- Anti-inflammatory Diet
- Decrease red meats, sugars and simple carbohydrates.
- Increase plant-based diet especially flavonoids (brightly colored fruits and veggies)
- Found in green tea shown to be effective in prevention and early infection. Try to incorporate 2-3 cups a day.
- Found in onions, broccoli, apples, enhances anti-viral activity of zinc.
- Vitamin C-500mg 3-4 times a day
- Vitamin D: 2000-5000 IU daily
- *discontinue with active infection
- Licorice root: 3-5grams a day or 500mg of DGL three times a day.
- Other SARS and Corona viruses show decreased replication with glycerrhizin.
- *avoid if have history of hypertension, poor kidney and liver function or if pregnant.
- Black Elderberry: 1 tsp of syrup three to five times a day.
- Rich in flavonoids with antioxidant and antiviral effects.
- Zinc Lozenges: 1-2 per day as preventative and not to exceed 10 per day with active infection.
- Has anti-viral effects.
I am currently accepting new and returning patients for phone appointments. If you have further questions or concerns and would like to discuss your specific needs, please call our front desk staff to schedule an appointment with me. Stay well.
Dr. Paris Prestridge N.D.