It’s summer and one of the best ways to stay healthy is to stay hydrated. This month we invite you to stay hydrated by setting the intention to take in more water all day long. Our bodies are made up of up to 60% water. Every cell in our body needs water to function properly. It provides us with the essentials to keep us feeling great.
Water lubricates our joints so we can stay active and pain free, it produces saliva which aids in proper digestion, it flushes our system of waste and toxins to keep us feeling healthy and helps to control our metabolism to maintain proper weight.
Summer weather is heating up, and it’s even more important to stay hydrated. Spending time in the heat and being more active increase our chances of dehydration.
Common symptoms of dehydration include headache, muscle cramps, dry mouth, dry skin, dizzy spells, sleepiness and problems with concentration. These signs usually show up when we have been dehydrated for some time. To avoid dehydration symptoms and keep your body in top shape, take in lots of water throughout the day.
Creative ways to stay hydrated this summer
Drinking water isn’t the only way to stay hydrated. Here are some delicious, healthy, fun ways to make sure you are balanced and in peak performance:
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times. It’s a good rule of thumb to drink half your bodyweight in ounces. (bodyweight 130 lbs = 65 ounces of water per day)
- Drink lemon water every morning. The health benefits include reducing inflammation in the body, helping to flush out toxins and boosting your immune system.
- Add watermelon, water and ice to a blender for a refreshing drink.
- Fill a glass pitcher of infused water by adding fruits and vegetables and keep it cool in the refrigerator. Cucumber and strawberries make for a delicious subtle flavor.
- Commit to drinking water in between meals, instead of snacking, to curb your appetite.
- Add more raw, whole foods to your diet. Fruits and vegetables include a high amount of water per serving.
- Make a game out of drinking water and track how much you drink every day. Download a water tracking app for your smartphone to make keeping track super easy.
Use this months downloadable worksheet to set your intentions for how you will stay hydrated and see how much better you feel.
Here are my intentions so you can see how simple this can be:
DOWNLOAD MONTH 7 – Hydration