It’s officially fall and that means shorter days and dropping temperatures. It also means cold and flu season is upon us. So how do you protect yourself and your family from catching the crud that’s inevitably going around? Tending to your immune system is your first defense against the aches and pains and stuffy noses of the colder months. This month we wanted to share advice from our Naturopathic Doctors, Dr. Tiffany Binder and Dr. Paris Stevens, to help you stay healthy this fall and winter.
How to support your immune system:
- Make it a habit to have your vitamin D tested every fall/winter. Good vitamin D levels will keep your immune system in tip top shape. For the fall and winter take Vitamin D daily, if your level is low take Vitamin D Supreme (1 capsule with food). If your levels are normal take Vitamin D Synergy (1 daily with food).
- Make sure you are taking a high quality multi-vitamin daily. If you are skipping out on this your body is missing out on essential nutrients that keep you healthy and ward off any unwanted viruses from attacking your system. Not all multi-vitamins are created equal, be sure you buy a high grade multi-vitamin. We recommend our Twice daily multi from Designs for Health (take 2 per day). NOTE: It is important to get a multi-vitamin without iron unless you are anemic. If you are a female add a calcium supplement, such as Osteoforce (take 2 per day).
- Take a daily probiotic. Probiotics help boost your immune system and help with gut health. Take Probiotic Synergy once a day with food. NOTE: Don’t take if on a blood thinning medication.
- Take fish oil daily and quality matters, there are so many brands on the market that are low grade fish oils. Omega Avail Marine by Designs for Health is a top notch fish oil (take 2 per day).
This is also a great time to test to find out which micronutrients you are deficient in. At The Wellness Center, we offer the Comprehensive Micronutrient Panel by Spectracell Laboratories. It is a wonderful test, that measures the function of 35 nutritional components including vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and amino acids within our white blood cells. For more information visit Spectracell. If you are interested in finding out more information on the test please call us at 303-357-9355 to schedule a 30 minute consultation with one of our Doctors.
What to do if you still catch a cold or virus:
Even after taking and doing all of the above, if you still feel a cold coming on (symptoms: sore/scratchy throat), the best thing to do is treat it ASAP. Take the following at the 1st onset of any symptoms within a few hours, don’t wait.
- Silvercillin (take ¼ cup orally, 4xs per day or can be put in a nasal spray for the sinuses, spray into the nose after you properly netti pot)
- Cold Arrest I or Chinese Tea (3 scoops/capsules- 3 to 4xs per day)
- Septonsil (take 25 drops 4x per day, may take with Chinese Tea)
- Syinfect (take 1 every 30 minutes under the tongue)
- Netti Pot with warm salt (sold in Whole Foods)
And REST, REST, REST, drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol and sugar at all costs. Once the virus has set in, it is much harder to treat.
Here are my intentions for the month to keep me healthy all season:
If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Dr. Binder or Dr. Stephens at our office or call: 303-357-9355 and we can address any questions over the phone.
Please note if you are pregnant please consult Dr. Binder or Sr. Stephens before taking any supplements