12 Months of Wellness | Month 8 – Vitamin D and Naturopathic
This month we would like to focus your attention on getting enough Vitamin D through the proper amount of sunshine. Vitamin D deficiency is a world-wide epidemic, even here in Colorado, where we have 300 days of sunshine per year. Vitamin D is a major player in supporting immunity in the body, so without it there is a barrage of issues that can ensue – from a simple cold to cancer.
The common symptoms of deficiency are having low immune function which means a higher risk of contracting colds, flu, and other respiratory tract infections, feeling depressed, tired or fatigued, experiencing a low mood (especially in the Winter). Chronic and long term deficiency has been linked to at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, rickets, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, asthma, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.
Vitamin D is produced in the body when skin is exposed to the sun. Doctors recommend 10-20 minutes daily exposure of as much skin as possible and without applying sunscreen. This helps the body absorb calcium, one of the two minerals essential for normal bone formation and health. Additionally, Vitamin D is responsible for modulation of cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, reduction of inflammation, and more. If you think you may be deficient, increasing your daily dose of sunshine can help and you can receive additional support support through Naturopathy and Nutrition.
Here are my intentions so you can see how easy it can be:
Below are some simple ways to get more Vitamin D each day:
- sit outside for breakfast
- take a short walk
- take your lunch break outside
- step outside to take a phone call
- take a short break to read a magazine or book
- opt for the patio instead of inside at a restaurant
- set aside time on the weekends to be outside for at least an hour or 2
- incorporate foods high in Vitamin D: The best are fatty fish like salmon, sardines, catfish and herring, but egg yolks, mushrooms and animal liver are also good
- get additional support through supplements prescribed by a Naturopath or doctor
Get your vitamin D levels tested to ensure that your body is getting enough of this important nutrient. The Wellness Center offers complete vitamin profiles and most tests are covered by your health insurance. Give us a call for more information. 303-357-9355